Product Design is conceptualization of an idea about a product and transformation of the idea into a reality and is one of the most important sensitive factors which determines the success of a product. The role of product design changes throughout the life-cycle of a product. In the initial product development stage, the role of design is to create a marketable product from an innovation. A very broad concept, it is essentially the efficient and effective generation and development of ideas through a process that leads to new products.
Industrial Design (ID) is the professional service of creating products and systems that optimize function, value and appearance for the mutual benefit of user and manufacturer.
Process of Product Design
- Research / Analysis - This mainly involves research, facts and figures, finding a solutions to the problem, and researching how to fix an effective manner.
- Trends / Concept - Mainly where the solution to the problem is found, and steps are taken to ensure the design will meet standard and consumer needs.
- Design - Brainstorming of ideas, narrowing down of ideas, and then from this, prototypes will be made to test the design before it is built.
The functions of product and package design are:
- Constitutes the physical representation of a brand's personality.
- Draws attention to a specific product in a crowded retail space. (in this case a product’s packaging serves as a great promotional tool)
- Positions a product amongst a certain category and perceived value, hence reflecting a specific potential price.
- Serves as a protective container, as well as provides useful nutritional information or instructions of use.
- Constitutes as an essential brand identity tool. Even a specific color might trigger an association to a particular brand.
- Differentiates a product from its competitors and private labels by transmitting a sense of worth or a story.
- Packages might also serve as souvenirs, collectibles or a source of storage.
- When a product design is groundbreaking, it can influence the way we use something specific by shifting behavior patterns.
- Reflects the level of modernism, creativity and cutting-edge qualities the brand might have.